Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cracking the Code on Wellness

Throughout the year, we have been profiling weight loss success stories. Today, we talk to Garrick Gibson about how he cracked the code on wellness. Here’s Garrick’s story told by Garrick himself:
Back in the summer of 2008, a close friend loaned me a documentary film. The premise of the film was how positive thinking and emotions can create life-changing results such as increased wealth, health and happiness. One of the notable concepts was a three-step process: Ask, Believe, and Receive, based on a verse from the Bible: “And in all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.” (Matthew 21:22)
Step 1 was a no brainer. But, step 2 was the hard part. “Believing” is much more challenging than it seems. Over time, I began to realize that I doubted myself. My doubts were conflicting with my goals; keeping me in a holding pattern of not receiving.
This stayed with me for two years and in 2010, I finally decided to set my goals to be out of the obese category on the BMI scale and to get my blood pressure under control. The difference this time around was that I worked on challenging my doubts and changing my belief system. I once heard a wise person say, “a belief is just a thought I keep thinking.” So, I started thinking more about being healthy and in shape and stopped focusing on my unhappiness with being overweight. To help me maintain my focus, I surrounded myself with people and things that inspired me. I created a schedule and started exercising consistently at the gym.
After losing some initial weight, I hit a plateau. So, I stepped up my game and hired a local personal trainer at Cross Training San Marco. For two days a week, they pushed me past my mental limitations. In addition to the cross training, I took up running 2-3 times per week. In the first four months, things moved surprisingly slow with my weight loss. But in May, I cracked the last piece of the wellness code. A co-worker recommended a body chemistry and blood nutrition diet book. Long story short, I learned what foods were toxic to my system based on my blood type, body composition and genetics. I found out which foods were canceling out my exercise. So, I wasn’t gaining weight or losing weight. Once I eliminated these foods along with gradually increasing my cross training intensity, the weight started melting off. I didn’t get comfortable there. In fact, I purposely put myself in the position of being uncomfortable. This forced me to pursue higher goals.
Weight loss and well-being starts in your mind, not your waistline. It’s not about dropping the excess weight. It’s really about dropping the excess emotional baggage of unworthiness and self-doubt we carry around in our minds. Once I overcame this, I surpassed all my goals. In 8 months, I lost 40 pounds, and my total weight loss to date is 65 pounds. Back in 2009, the longest race I had completed was a 5k (3.1 miles). In December of 2010, I shocked my family, friends and myself by completing my first marathon (26.2 miles). This is my story and I hope to continue maintaining my weight loss and pursuing higher health goals. 

1 comment:

Natalie Vick said...

Congratulations on your success, Garrick. What an inspiring story!